Monday, November 12, 2012

Hard times

Difficult days in the last week.

My youngest has been diagnosed with a gut problem that will be lifelong, relapsing and remitting. DV he will have a normal lifespan, but it won't go away. It was a diagnosis we had feared.

He is currently on an enteral feeding programme which means he cannot eat any solid food for the next eight weeks. He cannot receive Holy Communion until after the New Year. He and we were very upset last week, tearful and down, drained.

He has been braver and more phlegmatic than I would have been as an adult. He is 11. His first feed took the best part of an hour to take - sickly and sweet.  He can now down 330mls of feed in 4 minutes. He has to take it six times a day - 2L in total.

Theodicy has been at the front of my mind, but it is useless to go down that road if one truly believes in the Incarnation.

A bit flat. Prayers required.

Prayer, prayer, prayer.....

12 Comments:

Blogger Fr Ray Blake said...

My prayers

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Richard Collins said...

All rosaries dedicated throughout November.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Genty said...

Prayers to Our Lady will continue.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Dorothy B said...

Keeping your son, and all of you, in my prayers.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you and your family. Especially your son. You are in my prayers.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Done.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

My apologies. Some comments were deleted when I did a spam clearout.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Anagnostis said...

I hope you're boy's doing as well as can be expected. I was diagnosed with something of the sort last year, which, in retrospect, I've had since early manhood, probably. The last acute bout of it was very scary, but the meds seem to be keeping it under control now.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Anagnostis said...

Things you're not expecting to hear:

The consultant hunted around with his camera for a bit and then said -

"I'm pretty sure it's not cancer"

"Oh! - that's good news!"

"Well...it is and it isn't..."

Huh?

1:53 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Anagnostis I'm sorry to hear that. I suspect you have the same is something similar. He's better by the day but not out of the woods. Got on the podium in the school swimming so must be dojng ok.

3:20 PM  
Blogger EFpastor emeritus said...

Praying for you and your son. I also thank God that your son has a parent like you.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Bless you, father. That's a kind thing to say.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home