Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ecumenism and Two Way Streets



I'm sure many of you have heard Were You There When They Crucified My Lord? sung by a bunch of whiteys in a leafy, suburban parish on Good Friday. Yes, it made be tremble, tremble, TREEEEMMMMBBBBLE, too. I'm sure many of you, like me, have had that unpleasant feeling up the back of your neck when you see a band set-up (with amps and mikes) in or near the sanctuary when visiting an unfamiliar parish (even worse if they have an overhead projector) ready for the opening Worship Song.


I may be wrong here, but does anyone know if black churches in the Deep South (or Brixton or Chapeltown for that matter) ever sing plainchant? Or if they ever sing Byrd's Mass for Five Voices in happy-clappy evangelical churches?


No, thought not.

2 Comments:

Blogger Webmaster Gareth said...

I presume there are Trad Churches in Africa that still sing Gregorian chant?

10:07 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

I believe there are. I'm sure they use plainchant. Don't think you'll hear it in an evangelical church.

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home