Thursday, June 09, 2011

"Spiritual Care Workers"

If you ever encounter these creatures in hospital or elsewhere, shun them like the Black Death. I overheard the following conversation the other day:

Spiritual Care Worker: How was the wedding you went to at the weekend?
Nurse: Oh it was really nice..
SCW: Where was it held?
Nurse: Oh, in a golf club
SCW: Oh that's nice. Coz, like, church weddings can be, like, so exclusive of people who are not faith-believers...

WTF???? So, by the same logic are non-church weddings exclusive of believers?

My experience of SCWs has been usually lapsed Catholics/Christians with bad theology degrees from rubbish colleges or ex-priests or wannabe-womyn-priests. They speak a weird spiritual lingo which masks the vapid content of their speech and are all hugs. They have free access to your loved ones in hospitals and peddle their psychobabble with impunity and usually come with a state salary.

These people are vipers. Their spiritual mantras are greetings-card platitudes. In truth they are agents of state secularism. When I talked to one of them once about Truth she blithely stated "There is no such thing as objective truth" to which my reply was: "Then why should I believe a single word you say?"

The look on her face was priceless.

5 Comments:

Anonymous berenike said...

hahahahahahaah!

Why do I never think of these great comebacks until an hour later?!

I snorted into my morning ice tea.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Now, for two or three hours a week, I am one of these. I usually introduce myself to patients as a volunteer visitor from the chaplaincy in the hospital. A slightly different approach than the one you describe!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Joe

Lay volunteers to help with hospital chaplaincy work (SVdP, etc) are laudable people fulfilling their lay apostolate and the injunction of Our Blessed Lord ("I was sick and ye visited me.."). I admire your work.

What I am talking about is a group of healthcare professionals who have hijacked hospital chaplaincy work, are by and large anti-Christian, will maintain that anyone can meet the spiritual needs of patients and are out, generally to dehusk chaplaincy of any religious (or at any rate Christian) content. Their works are rife in the palliative care literature. For an examination of the phenomenon, read the critical works of Professor Tony Walter on the matter.

Joe, God bless you in the work you do.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

I have a friend who is a religious sister in France, and she does hospital visiting, working mainly with the very sick and dying. Officially, she is only allowed to do her job provided she doesn't mention God.

It is a good job Catholics are mostly subversives at heart.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Left-footer said...

Excellent, serious, eetertaining post, and I heartily agree.

God bless.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home