Thursday, April 21, 2011

Grateful thanks - St Jude



Sleepless nights were initially due to jetlag but that was replaced by angst about a roof over our heads, missing money from a wire transfer, a place in schools and registration to start work, etc, etc. I started a novena to St Jude. By Day 8, it was all solved. I finished the novena. I had made a novena to St Jude before when my parents were abroad that my grandmother would survive her stroke until their return. She did. Cause and effect? Would it have happened anyway? Superstitious attempts to strongarm God through His saints or proper acts of devotion by the desperate?

As Martin Kelly said, it will all be fine. Thus far, so good.

More thoughts about novenas to follow. I would welcome yours.

How on earth can I thank the good saint?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Saints are always happy with people of faith, like you.
I once lost a diary and approached Saint Anthony. It was restored to me. I gave money to a good cause.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Dilly said...

I always preface every novena by praying that it only be granted if it is in accordance with God's will for me. I am a firm adherent of St Teresa's warning "More tears are shed over prayers answered....."

Sometimes I look back and am grateful that a particular prayer has not been answered - because God came up with something better, that I hadn't thought of.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

By making a good fist of this year.

Good to here from you, and an blessed Easter to all in Vancouver's Little Jordanhill.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Mac McLernon said...

St Jude has fixed lots of things for me over the years - not least my erroneous attitude that one doesn't need to pray to the saints as intermediaries!

They say God loves to give his graces through others, especially his Blessed Mother.

Tell others about novenas as a way of saying thank-you.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Delighted that these initial problems have been resolved. I wish you and your family a very happy Easter, and I look forward to reading about your adventures during the year ahead.

Best wishes,
Dorothy.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Ttony said...

"Publication promised" used to be added at the end of the texts published in the small ads in the Manchester Evening News.

So you've done what's needed already by reminding others to pray a Novena to St Jude.

Glad you can start enjoying Vancouver and BC now!

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home