Tuesday, March 22, 2011

We'll check this parish out.

Well, this parish, St Jude's, could be alright. It'll be a bit of a trek from where we're likely to be living, but it's about 2 blocks from my work. The 'Good Confession Guide' on the sidebar is an indication of the tone of the parish. as is the Benedictine altar arrangement. This parish is clearly onside.

I'm a bit torn. Should one go to the nearest parish, or drive twenty minutes to get to Mass? Thoughts, please.

SUNDAY SCHEDULE

HOLY MASS

•5 PM – Saturday Mass of Anticipation in English

•7:45 AM – Latin (1962 Roman Missal)

•9 AM – English with Gregorian Chant
•11 AM – English with Gregorian Chant

•5 PM – English

SUNG VESPERS & BENEDICTION

4 PM

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect that your mind is already made up!
FJ

11:00 AM  
Blogger Dev Thakur said...

Absolutely go to this parish, is what I would do.

We don't live in a world where every parish does what it is supposed to, and so we should support our territorial parish (as was once law and custom).

Now we live in a world where a rare jewel of a parish really follows liturgical law, is vibrant, proclaims the Gospel in its entirely, and even attempts to restore tradition that has been lost. I consider it my moral imperative to support such a parish if one is near me with my money and time.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The journey will be worth it I suspect!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

FJ

Acchhh! You know me too well, Father.

Dev & Anon

I think you are right

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Richard Collins said...

20 minutes is a walk in the park! Thanks to a Bishop who is less than well disposed to the EF Mass we now drive 140 miles to Mass and back most Sundays.
It's worth it though.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Agellius said...

We drive about 30 miles every Sunday to attend a TLM. Liturgy at our geographical parish is a travesty.

This may be a rationalization, but the way I look at it is that for me, attending most NO masses is an occasion of sin -- because I spend most of the time fighting the strong temptation to be angry and annoyed with the priest, musicians, singers, architect, etc., for treating the Sacred Liturgy so shabbily. Recognizing, of course, that in most cases they don't know any better, but that only leaves me blaming the bishop for not insisting on better instruction.

I don't hate the NO per se. In fact we did recently discover an NO mass fairly nearby which is not particularly sublime, but at least is not obnoxious, and we go there once in a while when time does not permit the longer journey.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Auricularis said...

Why does the old rite have to be so early?!

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home