Thursday, February 17, 2011

ICEL (1970) Renditions #1: Requiem by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894)

Original:

UNDER the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie:
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you 'grave for me:
Here he lies where he long'd to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

ICEL:
I'd like to be buried in the countryside. I had a nice life.
It's says "I'm happy now" on my tombstone. Which is nice.

9 Comments:

Blogger Patricius said...

Surely ICEL 1970- not ICEL 2011?

8:53 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Indeed. Now stealth edited.

9:34 AM  
Blogger diff said...

Its nice to see them branch out and slaughter something other than a liturgical text.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He he , very good and so true. Send to Fr Anthony Ruff OSB. On "Pray Tell" He would love this.....not.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Toyin O. said...

Lovely words, thanks for sharing:)

12:31 AM  
Anonymous georgem said...

Have a go at Paradise Lost. Go on, go on, go on.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Dilly said...

Samson Agonistes:

Jewish atrocity in Palestine by differently abled terrorist.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Dilly

Hey!!!!!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Rusticus said...

Sorry, Paulinus, but EVERYBODY gets this wrong. It's "Home is the sailor, home from sea", NOT "...home from the sea" (think of the scansion).

It always annoys me because I actually am both an ex-sailor and a hunter and I want the (correct) quote on my gravestone!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home