Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Qualified Bidding Prayers

I have a bit of a thing about bidding prayers. I think the Holy Father should just issue a motu proprio banning them and institute a standardised Bidding of the Bedes (they could use Fr Sean Finnegan's excellent version of the Pre-Reformation prayers).

In recent weeks I have found myself adding a few mental qualifications to those read from the ambo. Here are a couple of examples:

Let us pray for the people of Pakistan, that the wealthy nations of the world may be generous and help them in their hour of need...[and that their corrupt officials will keep their thieving hands off the donations and that their government might, you know, spend a bit of money on their own people rather than top-of-the-range fighter jets]

Let us pray for Pope Benedict, that his coming visit may open him up to be inspired by the Spirit [and that the hierarchies and people of these Islands might start listening to Peter and adhering to the Catholic faith]

Finally:

[Let us pray for the composers of bidding prayers. That they might quit their agenda-laden-We-Are-Church-BS and shut the____up. ]

Lord in your mercy.....

6 Comments:

Blogger carl said...

At some bidding prayers I respond "Lord have mercy" in place of "Lord hear our prayer". It makes me feel better.

6:43 AM  
Blogger leutgeb said...

Bidding Prayers do tend to end up being a way of saying, 'Dear Lord, please make everyone the way I think they should be.'

On the rare occasions I hear them I do my best to tune them out, but it is hard.

The scateboarding whatever it was. I remember laughing loudly! :-)

7:39 AM  
Blogger St Malachy said...

This is scary. I think you and I must be worshipping in the same parish. Either that or bidding prayers are equally poor (and politically motivated) across the UK...

2:17 PM  
Blogger Rusticus said...

As a lay reader I have to read these things out occasionally.

I do tend, however, to "modify" them somewhat as I'm doing so.

So far, no-one has ever objected.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous georgem said...

Bidding prayers. Don'tcha just love 'em? Noooooooooooooooo.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Rusticus

Well done, that man. That really is active participation.

Georgem

Noooooooooooooooooooo, indeed.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home