Monday, June 14, 2010

Inked up

A milestone last week - I came across a quite heavily tattooed young lady doctor. I don't think I've come across any before now. A sign of the times. My grandfather had a modest heart with 'MOTHER' round it on his arm - a relic of service in the Navy in WW1. Of course patients have plenty. A colleague of mine has an index of poverty he calls the TtTR (Tattoo-to-Teeth Ratio - the more tattoos and the less teeth, the higher the ratio, the greater the chance of social deprivation). I came across a patient who had a tattoo of the Immaculate Heart of Mary on his chest. It was quite old and faded. "Were you very pious as a young man?" I asked. "No just a bit stupid" he replied. I have never had the desire to have tattoos and I would discourage my boys from them.

I discovered this site: (Religious Tattoos - Dedicated to Judaeo-Christian Body Art) by accident searching for a picture of the Lamb of God. I'm impressed in a mouth-open-watching-a-car-crash kind of way.

Is it a sin - it being a voluntary disfigurement? Let me know what you think.
These folk clearly don't think it is:










9 Comments:

Blogger Paul Mallinder said...

I heard once that being "inked up" was a problem for ordination to priesthood. Not sure if this correct.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Doctor, I'm feeling a bit queasy...

3:54 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that, Paul. Like your blog BTW

Dorothy. Take two of these (*hands over placebo*). If you're not feeling by tomorrow, come back and see me

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Ebomania said...

I have it on VERY GOOD authority that being inked up does not prohibit admission to seminary, nor subsequent ordination.

Nuff said.

;)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Paul Mallinder said...

Paulinus and Ebomania,

I looked into this. There is a problem (not on admission (normally year 3) or entrance).

Apparently, The Code of Canon Law is not "happy" with a person being "inked up"

The exact reference is Canon 1041.5

IRREGULARITIES AND OTHER IMPEDIMENTS

"a person who has mutilated himself or another gravely and maliciously or who has attempted suicide"

I also checked with a mate of mine who is a big cheese in the Church and he confirmed that prior to ordination you "self certify" and there a is physical medical check. Hmmmmm.

BTW, I am not loosing sleep over this!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Hestor said...

Plain blasphemous

4:48 PM  
Blogger Catholic Teuchtar said...

wish I had them instead of the ones I do have. :-)

Nuff said. (Co. Ebo.)

9:33 PM  
Blogger gemoftheocean said...

Not necessarily a sin, but I think a bad idea all around.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tatoos are demonic..period!

4:13 PM  

<< Home