Sunday, May 16, 2010

Reflections on yesterday

If the priest had known of the shenanigans surrounding the First Communion Mass when I went to confession on Friday, he might have given me a lighter penance. Let's say I offered it up.

Observations:

(1) Many people do not know how to behave in a Church. Not their fault, they just don't know. The elderly nun who attends Mass had to ascend the steps to ask people if they would mind being respectful before the Blessed Sacrament for 5 minutes. The relative silence lasted all of 15 seconds. Monsignor repeated the request with the same effect;

(2) Trite, banal infantilised music with little reference to the transcendent and with dubious if not heretical content is the norm and it will take a generation to expunge it, if that is possible;

(3) Making it "all about Da Kidz" (especially making them perform after Communion on the altar steps) means it ends not being about Our Blessed Lord.

(4) Are slingbacks and handbags essential articles for a girl's First Communion outfit? I'm only asking....

(5) I long for the day when First Holy Communions are celebrated quietly and reverently (individually?) with close family. For my family, unless God has other ideas, that's it, until my nephew's in four years' time.

I'm not alone. This stuff happens elsewhere in the anglosphere, apparently. (Oh, and here, too)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

Paulinus,

I fully agree with you about lack of reverence in front of the Blessed Sacrament - but how will children ever learn from arrogant and narcissistic parents? My own bete noire is children screaming all the way through Mass from start to finish. It's not them who don't know how to behave, but their parents. Many adults don't seem to have a clue how to receive Communion at all. One egregiously bad example I have seen in Ireland was the host being placed on the palm of the left hand and immediately rammed straight into the mouth, palm at right angles to lips. What is to be done?

8:24 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

oh dear! :(

Are you able to enumerate the actual abuses in terms of Redemptionis Sacramentum? You ought not to have to put up with this stuff!

Martin: some people were actually taught this, in order to avoid using the fingers!

2:17 PM  
Anonymous berenike said...

Move to Poland, move to Poland, move to Poland ... it's not perfect, but it's wonderful :)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Ttony said...

My children asked me not to write about them, so I don't, but it was the experience of their FHCs that first made me start to explore the Internet to find out whether it was me that had been left behind or whether there was an alternative to schism. The gates of Hell gape open wide for whoever intentionally decided to rob children, on this of all occasions, of the awesome wonder of the Sacrament they were receiving for the first time.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I can't remember whether it was in the life of Therese of Lisieux or that of Elizabeth of the Trinity - but I came across there the practice of a "quiet" First Communion at a week day Mass, with a subsequent "solemn Communion" that had the character of a parish celebration. If I had my own children, I think it is what I would like them to do to avoid the chaos that occurs in most parishes. I imagine myself "accidentally" missing the Mass at the weekend, and bringing the children along one day during the next week ...

9:30 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

I imagine myself "accidentally" missing the Mass at the weekend, and bringing the children along one day during the next week ...

Funny, that, Joe, because we clean forgot about the Penitential Service thingy that Miss Hyperactive the teacher organised.

Thankfully The Curate said it would be OK to come along after Mass one evening and for the boy to make his First Confession. So the three of us quietly went along and waited our turn. It seemed so natural. Plus we didn't have to sing 'Shine Jesus Shine' or whatever.

Which was nice.

10:37 PM  

<< Home