Thursday, February 25, 2010

Smothering Justice



Rod Liddle has a good point about the latest twist in the assisted suicide debate involving Ray Gosling:

Should people be allowed to smother their lovers because they think they are feeling a bit off-colour? This is just one of the problems with the case of Ray Gosling, who said in a BBC documentary that he had killed a former lover who was lying in a hospital bed in pain, and that it had been a pact between the two of them. Ray put a pillow over the face of the unnamed man and is now on bail as a murder suspect. How do we know it was a pact? How can we be certain that the motive for the killing was to end the suffering for the friend, and not to end the suffering for Gosling himself, watching his friend in pain? Because Gosling says so. And isn’t that the problem if we relax our laws on mercy killings?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous berenike said...

Someone just told me that an old friend (in both sense of "old"), recently met, had said that she can't leave her disabled son behind when she dies, and has made arrangements to "take him with her". My only contact with this friend has been "hello/goodbye", and since I foolishly flipped when I was told the story, I expect I'll not have a chance to do anything myself. Apparently she's told other people too, so I am hopeful it's just a "dammit, people, HELP ME!" thing. But it's very sad. Would you pray for this lady a little this week? Because of your work I think it would be good if it was you. Thanks very much.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous berenike said...

(that is, the Old Friend is an Old Friend of the Someone, not of mine)

9:05 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

In my rosary, God bless her. Sounds like she needs it.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home