Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Sad Parting

Uncle Bill was buried today. White vestments (I know, I know) and eulogies (I know, I know) but a loving send-off, hopefully to merciful judgement and his reward.

We disagreed about his approach to ecumenism and he was at times called a radical (he wasn't). Ultimately he was orthodox and obedient as a priest and religious for 60 years and built up a parish from very little. The little church was too small to hold the congregation who filled the medieval Anglican parish church. As his Superior said to me "It's very nice of them, but after all they have just been borrowing it for the past 450 years!" He was quite plainly loved by his parishioners in a way that would be a reward of its own.

He now awaits Resurrection in a grave that overlooks his parish - a fitting place to watch all those parishioners he brought to the Faith or sustained in a living Faith or gave vigour to a wavering Faith.

Oh and the vestments- no-one knows what happened to them, alas. Don't know what to do about that.

I had the pick of his things. Father Provincial very kindly gave me his 3-volume breviary and liber usualis.

I couldn't take the train set (Hornby "00", Flying Scotsman and about 20 engines). He kept it in the attic - I never knew he had it.

Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.

7 Comments:

Blogger Simon Platt said...

Requiescat in pace.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Ches said...

Prayers for your Uncle Bill.

Are you incidentally BJ's brother-in-law? Drop me a line off-blog!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Ches said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Yes i am but he doesn't know I blog!

10:42 PM  
Blogger The Cellarer said...

In blessed repose, grant, O Lord, eternal rest to the soul of Your servant, Bill and remember him forever. Eternal memory; eternal memory, grant, O Lord, to Your servant Bill, blessed repose and eternal memory.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Ches said...

Don't worry I didn't say a thing, but I recognised the circs!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest in peace, remembered.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home