Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I saw a mouse! Where?




Over Hogmanay my in-laws had the house while we were away and said we had, ahem, a little visitor. A little mousey stuck his head round the press door in the living room to watch telly. I've seen him a couple of times since. I think he's come in out of the cold. The dog chased him once.

Last night while I was in Belfast Mrs P heard him in the bedroom and fled to the Paulinus Minor Major's bottom bunk. Now in true manly fashion I have to do something.



So I went to the hardware shop and bought something I haven't seen since my dad put some down when I was a kid. Yes, they do make them still, just like the ones in Tom and Jerry! "Shall I put a bit of cheese on it?" I asked the man in Scotstoun Emporium (What a name! What a shop!) "Nah!" says he "Peanut butter. Or a bit of Mars Bar. They love that".

Peanut butter it is then.

Make my day, mousey.


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mac McLernon said...

Actually, as one who has worked with the poor cow'rin' timorous beasties, I have to disagree. Mice prefer kit kat (not kit-e-kat, the cat food, but the biscuit covered in chocolate)...

The sweetness of the chocolate and the crunchy resistance of the wafer (but not too much resistance) goes down a treat... and gives the trap time to work, rather than the hit-and-run approach of whisking the chocolate away to safer areas.

I used to present my rat and mice research assistants with kit kat for Easter Sunday and Christmas Day...

9:47 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

We'll see how the 'n=1' trial goes tonight.

Failing that I might need to borrow your cat...

10:07 PM  
Blogger Rusticus said...

Bacon rind gets 'em every time.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Ah, yes, the 'Scotstoun Emporium'...as an alumnus of St. Paul's, Whiteinch, I remember it well.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

I imagine you had many a happy hour there after school. Does your dad use it, Martin?

6:57 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

P,

Strange you should ask that, P - I don't think I can recall Dad ever being in the place. On the other hand, I don't think he's ever had mice.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home