Saturday, November 28, 2009

The love of God


On the Ed West post about Dawkins' unhealthy interest in the spiritual life of children, a kinder commenter than me quotes St Catherine of Siena:

I ask you to love Me with the same love with which I love you. But for Me you cannot do this, for I loved you without being loved. Whatever love you have for Me you owe Me, so you love Me, not gratuitously but out of duty, while I love you not out of duty, but gratuitously. So you cannot give me the kind of love I ask of you. This is why I have put you among your neighbours: so that you can do for them what you cannot do for Me - that is, love them wihtout any concern for thanks and without looking for any profit for yourself. And whatever you do for them I will consider done for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger madame evangelista said...

Thanks, that's a lovely quote.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

You are welcome. It lifted me up when I read it.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home