Saturday, August 29, 2009

Brave transgressive art #94



This time it's Medals of Dishonour at the British Museum. Actually the exhibition looks quite original and explores a tradition of satirical or scatological medals. The piece that irritates me is that by Grayson Perry.



Queer fish, Grayson Perry. Dresses as a girl some of the time. Seriously. That's him below:



This from wiki: He began to develop images and text that represented his experience in terms of “explicit scenes of sexual perversion – sadomasochism, bondage, transvestism”.

Really? How very interesting *stifles yawn*

Grayson has used images of the Blessed Virgin Mary before:

Perry’s highly decorated pots can sell for more than £50,000 and often feature sex, violence and childhood motifs. One work depicted a teddy bear being born from a penis as the Virgin Mary. “I’m interested in religion and I’ve made a lot of pieces about it,” he said. “With other targets you’ve got a better idea of who they are but Islamism is very amorphous. You don’t know what the threshold is. Even what seems an innocuous image might trigger off a really violent reaction so I just play safe all the time.”

“I’ve censored myself,” Perry said at a discussion on art and politics organised by the Art Fund. “The reason I haven’t gone all out attacking Islamism in my art is because I feel real fear that someone will slit my throat.”


You don't say.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I didn't have a problem with Our Lady of Bond Street; I thought it was clearly depicting how we worship mammon rather than God, and the Holy things have become unholy. However, what I read in that excerpt disturbs me.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Funny how it's always a Christian motif, though, eh? I thought we were multi-cultural now. Does he not want to be inclusive and show Shiva or Guru Narnak or Mahommed out shopping?

9:32 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

P,

Perry has admitted that he will not produce 'art', or whatever he calls it, that is critical of Islam - I quote from memory but they said 'I don't want to get my throat cut'.

Whether this is cowardice or not, I don't know; but I guess he knows that he won't get such treatment from the likes of us.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Martin

Nor do I wisj to live in a country where he subject to such threats from Christians or anyone else. But his right to free-expression invites the right to call him a coward.

Maybe even a Big Girl's Blouse....

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Antonio said...

In the times of St. Robert Bellarmine and St. Charles Borromeo, such men would have been burnt at the stake for their blasphemy.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home