Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Door That We Might Open

An interesting analysis and scathing evisceration of the likes of Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens by Professor Roger Scruton in this article from the Swedish journal Axess
Distrust of organised religion therefore goes hand in hand with a mourning for the loss of it. We are distressed by the evangelical atheists, who are stamping on the coffin in which they imagine God’s corpse to lie and telling us to bury it quickly before it begins to smell. These characters have a violent and untidy air: it is very obvious that something is missing from their lives, something which would bring order and completeness in the place of random disgust. And yet we are uncertain how to answer them. Nowhere in our world is the door that we might open, so as to stand again in the breath of God.

I disagree with this conclusion. I actually think this may be one of the best descriptions of Holy Mass ever written by a non-Catholic.



The door that we might open, so as to stand again in the breath of God.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mac McLernon said...

I've tagged you for a meme. Yes, I know I'm being a pain, but go on, humour me, I'm feeling fragile... pretty please!

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home