Sunday, February 22, 2009

This is the Mass: a Spartacus Moment


I have thought and prayed today about the whole Fr Finigan/Elena Curti thing. One thing struck me about the title of the piece and the reaction reported in it by one lachrymose, oppressed parishioner of Fr Finigan was the idea that this was in some way her Mass. Mass is Mass, full stop. It's not your Mass, or the priest's Mass it is Christ's Mass - His giving of Himself to The Father. Of course, any valid Mass - celebrated by a validly ordained priest with the correct words of consecration and the right elements is Mass, however irreverently celebrated. We are lucky to have priests at all. But the Holy Father is doing something pivotal in the history of the Church, as other Pontiffs have before him - restoring beauty and dignity to the celebration of the Sacraments.

I have made no secret of the fact that I am not an advocate for the universal adoption of the EF. My own preference would be for the OF celebrated in Latin, ad orientem and chanted, as I believe the Fathers of the Second Vatican Council intended, with dignity and reverence.

Bloggers have stood with Fr Tim and I know he appreciates this but I want to do something with this moment and I would like you to join me: for this to become a chance to stand up for the beauty and dignity of the Mass. The request is simple. Post a picture of the Mass celebrated well, with dignity in a manner fitting the heights of Catholic worship. It could be EF or OF. The only stipulation is that it is said with dignity and reverence and in accord with the GIRM. It might be a Mass you have celebrated, one that you've attended (Merton? Cardinal Castrillon?) or one you wish you had attended (The Pope's OF Mass in the Sistine Chapel ad orientem?) It might be as high as it gets (The Oratory?) or an early morning Low Mass with hardly anyone there.

Please pass this on to as many other bloggers as you can.

It's not about being eclectic or snobby, but showing Tabletistas that there is an alternative to polyester horse blankets and Kum-Ba-Yah ("It's for the kids". Yeah. Right.). It's a chance for this to be a Spartacus moment: to say THIS is Mass

I'll start you off: OF, Latin, ad orientem, St Pat's Anderston.


I AM SPARTACUS!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mac McLernon said...

Excellent thought, Paulinus.

My offering can be found here.

9:54 PM  
Blogger dominic said...

But the Oratory are not at all keen on people taking photographs...

9:52 AM  
Blogger universal doctor said...

It's high time that "fides et ratio" were compulsroy reading for those seeking reception into the Church and confirmation candidates. When are intelligent, thoughtful, reflective catholics going to wake up to what their faith is? Or for that matter, when are the words of Cardinal Arinze going to be heard- "The Mass is not about entertainment" (I may have paraphrased)? I don't go to Mass for ribbons and coloured pebbles and dancing nuns (I get that at school instead...).

8:02 PM  
Blogger Vernon said...

For many photos of good Masses (EF only!) see http://www.traditionalcatholic.org.uk

3:27 AM  
Blogger Joe S.R. said...

I submit photos of mu own parish:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdtreat/sets/72157604213133984/

far too many to post individually. My favorite:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdtreat/2354463947/in/set-72157604213133984/

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home