Saturday, January 03, 2009

Weird

For the second year running a weird thing has happened on Christmas morning.

I have a copy of 'Daily Prayer' and I say the Office fitfully due to the demands of work and fatherhood. I am not good at rising early - hence I knew I would not make a good monk when that vocation flitted across my spiritual radar as a young man (though I thought about it ruefully when feeding the boys at 2am, knowing the Carthusians were just getting up then).

My kids are very good at Christmas: they wake at a reasonable hour 7-7.30, same as usual, come in to say good morning and have a cuddle, get up and open Santa's stocking before Mass. At 5am, for the second Christmas in succession, I woke up: ping! I got up and said The Office of Readings for the day (there are only 4 days of the year that have the Office of Readings in 'Daily Prayer' - Christmas, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday). I then went back to bed and slept soundly until the boys got up.

I'm not sure why I've had this grace (it is a beautiful thing to say the Office at that time in such peace). I'm just very thankful.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Sweet! Well, I say don't knock it! I too have difficulties praying the Office and can well sympathise with you, but also know the beautiful satisfied feeling of getting to! :D

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home