Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Old Time Religion



I found a Woody Guthrie version of Old Time Religion recently (sadly no You Tube video of it). I'm sure the old godless commie Guthrie was being ironic. I liked this version by Mahalia Jackson.

Negro spirituals (is one allowed to call them that these days?) are popular with parish liturgists. I've winced a few times at Were You There When They Crucified My Lord? on Good Friday. Most Catholic communities do not have a Paul Robeson to carry such a hymn and the attempts by congregations are usually warbled in too high a key. Still, I'm sure the professional laity prefer it to When I Survey The Wondrous Cross or Crux Fidelis (What? Latin?) or Oh Sacred Head (Bach is, like, sooooooo elitist, non?)

Funny how the Tabletistas are not so keen on Old Time Religion. There's a Catholic version in the video below but it lacks something. I've thought of some new verses of my own. How about

If it's good for Joe Rat-zin-ger
If it's good for Joe Rat-zin-ger
If it's good for Joe Rat-zin-ger
Then it's good enough for me

Feel free to make up your own in the comments box


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mac McLernon said...

Come on, Paulinus... I tagged you ages ago...

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home