Sunday, July 27, 2008

One chasuble at a time


Well a very interesting development at Mass this morning. The Curate came in procession and rather than the usual (modern) gothic(ish) chasuble he was wearing this rather smart ensemble (well actually it was something very like it from Gammarelli's). From a purely practical point of view I am sure it was a relief on a hot Sunday morning to wear natural silk without sleeves rather than a hideous horse blanket in man-made fibres. To be fair Monsignor invested well in the vestments we have - they look very dignified for Mass and not at all horse-blanket-like. I wish the same could be said of most modern vestments. Many complimentary comments were made after Mass.

It is easy to sound a bit camp about all this stuff ("Oooooh! What a bona chasuble!) but the fact is that beautifying and re-enchanting the liturgy is part of the Benedictine reforms. A gauntlet is being thrown down, parish by parish and sooner or later the Tabletistas will have to realise that the liturgy is of central inportance and that 40 years of playing fast and loose with the Mass is changing.

Get with the programme, hippies.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mac McLernon said...

Beautiful!

Heheheheheh... face it, hippies... it's over!

3:51 PM  
Blogger la mamma said...

Oo, I must use that one the next time our pp complains of the heat - "Well, Father, how about losing the sleeves? A nice leetle fiddle-back affair?" I'll let you know how I get on.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

If he's a priest who believes in the global warming voodoo you could always say "Oh, Father, of course silk has a much smaller carbon footprint than polyester..."

9:35 PM  
Blogger la mamma said...

He's a funny one, Paulinus. I thought he might 'dress down' and not wear his soutane when the bp Visited, but no! ... and our bp won't even wear an amice. He (my pp) is one of the smartest-dressed clerics I've ever come across (and that's saying something) but seems to have acquired a new chasible which is really quite yeuch. It's kinda shiny green with little golden crosses all over it and when I say 'kinda' green, it's perhaps shot silk or something, as it seems to shimmer... or maybe that's his holy glow / Readybrek? Initially I thought he was just giving it an airing, much as you would a jumper that a Kind Aunt had knitted, but it does seem to be his favourite. Oh it really makes Trinity seem long!

As to the carbon footprint point - I think he's much to sensible for that but our bp is dead keen... Yes, I think I'll mention that too.

1:13 PM  
Blogger la mamma said...

I meant 'chasuble', obviously.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home