Tuesday, June 24, 2008

And another thing.....

When grilling Mr Purvis over his attempt to do away with the ill, I must have made my point a little too well as, exasperated he ended with the rather pathetic:
"Is there anything I could say to make you change your mind?"


To disobey the Fifth Commandment?

No.

I think he sussed he I was a Catholic (or some other sort of Christian) but I was clear in the language and arguments I used to argue from reason. So that's the way it goes with these politicos. "If I can't persuade you, I won't bother thinking about changing my own mind." It just didn't occur to him that having had every single argument trashed by a roomful of doctors it might be that his thinking was just plain wrong. Or what I think was behind it was "You must be a Catholic or the like - arguments won't work". Fact is, the MSP's arguments were so feeble they were easily crushed by a bunch of thicko medics like me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

OpenID berenike said...

My god-daughter was baptised two years ago at the age of 24. Her brother converted at the age of 11, her parents aren't Christians. She complained half a year later that to all sorts of things her mother's response was "You would say that, though, wouldn't you, because you're a Catholic".

"Sweetheart, try this soup and tell me what you think"

"Well, it's very nice, mum. I wouldn't have put so much cardamon in though"

"Well, you would say that, wouldn't you, being a Catholic!"

(Only slight exaggeration).

I was talking to A N Puntress the other day, a very nice girl, biologist, primary school teacher, and was sharing a thought I had a couple of years ago about seeds. Then we got to talking about beautiful views, and I said something that occurred to me when I was about 19, and has stuck with me since. But when she asked "and what's your answer?" in a slightly funny way, I though "she thinks I'm trying to convert her!". I wasn't! I was just sharing some thoughts in response to hers! But it would have been even weirder to protest, and anyway I only managed to work out what was funny when it was too late to say anything.

Er, sort of the same thing.

7:24 PM  
OpenID berenike said...

(I mention the brother because god-daughter reported experience in a "oh man, so this is why you had all those rows with mum and dad!" surprised realisation tone of voice)

7:27 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Was this in Scotland. The anti-Catholic thing runs deep here as I am sure you know.

8:56 PM  
OpenID berenike said...

Nope. Also the Proddy-Catholic thing doesn't feature - dad's family don't know, dad a communist, mother's family lapsed Catholic and non-practising Anglican.

It was just a funny example of the "I don't have to listen You're religious" argument. I had it again yesterday when an Israeli Palestinian was explaining to me about how the Romans invented the Catholic Church - when I kept saying "no, look, have you looked at the sources? They are such and such ,and say x ..." - he would keep saying "yes, you're religious, but I see it really". Argh! I said "Look, you say they introduced X, when "they" adopted Christianity in 300. Yes?" "yeah!" "Well, in fact X is found in documents from the early 100s" "it was all about power, the Romans...". This went on for about 40 minutes. I asked for the nth time whether he had read the documents. "No, I've not read the documents, but I've seen document..." - I like to think his voice faded with embarassed realisation before I started laughing.

why am i on the internet? because I havbe lots of important things to do.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Me too. Deadline for a review passed yesterday. It'll be in tomorrow.....

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home