Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I'd do anything


Watching the goings-on of the Blair family with regard to the Faith is like watching a spiritual car crash.



Now Mrs Blair has really hit a low-water mark with the latest revelations in her autobiography, Speaking For Myself. Serialised in The Times, the latest titbits include this jaw-dropping (if not stomach-churning) vignette:


The former Prime Minister’s wife also reveals that she and her husband conceived their fourth child, Leo, while guests of the Queen at Balmoral. It happened because she had not packed her contraceptive equipment and because of the bitter cold, Mrs Blair says.
Emough, already. Too much information.

This with the Madame Arcati-like reliance on Mayan rebirthing ceremonies, "dowsing healers" (whatever they are) and this array of mumbo-jumbo:

When the Blairs moved into Downing Street, a feng shui expert rearranged the furniture at Number 10. Cherie wears a 'magic pendant' known as the BioElectric Shield, which is filled with 'a matrix of specially cut quartz crystals' that surround the wearer with 'a cocoon of energy' and ward off evil forces. (It was given to her by Hillary Clinton, another political spouse who combines the characteristic Third Way vices of sharp practice and bone-headedness). Then there have been inflatable Flowtron trousers, auricular therapy and acupuncture pins in the ear.

Please. No more information.

The Blairs are the apogee of bossy laity and a dignified period of silence on matters spiritual from them would be helpful.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

It happened because she had not packed her contraceptive equipment and because of the bitter cold, Mrs Blair says.

Damnit. There was me thinking that, unlike her husband, Cherie might actually be a good Catholic and her book an interesting read. Off it goes from my Wishlist now!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Off it goes from my Wishlist now!

Aye, right

9:25 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

What?

It was on it, and now I deleted it...

4:29 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

You're kidding me, right?

5:45 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

I always visit your blog to be cheered up by your wonderful wit... but, with this woman, you can take the day off. She does a fantastic job of entertaining us all on her own.

Seriously, though, the media hails this woman as a model Catholic. Pleeeze!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Er... no; I really thought she might be interesting now that Tony's the more apostate one! ;-p

7:14 PM  
Blogger Ottaviani said...

Off it goes from my Wishlist now!

The fact that it was on your wishlist in the first place is shocking.

Better substitute it for something like "Spiritual Combat" by Don Lorenzo Scupoli or "Introduction to the Devout Life" by De Sales.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

It was called doing one's homework. I always thought my dislike of Cherie unjustified... be thankful I recanted.

5:52 AM  
Blogger antonia said...

I pray they change, cos they're gonna be in trouble when they die.

5:43 PM  
Blogger la mamma said...

Mark, have you ever noticed that Fr. Z has his wishlist linked from his blog? You could do the same and maybe you'd get a few presents through the post... though possibly a bit of abuse for anything else on it that's considered better off burnt!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

la mamma:

I have indeed noticed this, and mine too is linked from my blog (discreetly); I have received very thoughtful gifts in the past and was very touched by it.

Though, we should buy Fr Z gifts and not me, because, if memory serves, today is the anniversary of his ordination. Of course, that's not to stop any of you buying me things, but wait until my birthday (soon). ;-p

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home