Monday, May 19, 2008

First Holy Communion



Well, the day went well. That's me in the top hat. Paulinus Minor Major did us proud - indeed all the children behaved impeccably, although I gather this isn't always the case.


Monsignor gave a gentle reminder that this was the childrens' First Holy Communion, rather than their last and a lovely sermon about the love of Jesus Christ made manifest in the Eucharist that made it clear that frequent communion was a habit the children should get into.

Thankfully the parents behaved reasonably well, too, though I did overhear one lady say "We were lucky to get the bouncy castle for this weekend!"

I gather things are worse in Ireland.


Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Pastor in Valle said...

You're right; I spend a year teaching the children how to behave in church, and on the day (and thereafter) they behave immaculately. Not so their parents! At last year's FHC Mass, one mother actually passed around a hip flask!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

There were two folk swigging from a coke bottle but that was about as bad as it got (bad enough, mind)

9:12 AM  
Blogger WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Congratulations to Paulinus Major and Minor anD MAY gOD BLESS THEM.

and yes, I've seen some appalling behaviour in church by parents. But then they simply don't go so they don't know it's not a bit of fre entertainment.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Oliver said...

I wonder what mixture of contradictions these children will imbibe as they grow up. And as liberated young women, will they look upon such events as pretty little moments of parental pampering?

10:38 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

I'm not sure, Oliver. Personally I would favour FHC being done quietly at 8am Mass with one's family to avoid the kind of circus it can become. I think you might be right that it just becomes just another event like a trip to Alton Towers.

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home