Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A Decade Ago

Leutgb tags me for this meme:

What I was doing 10 years ago
Preparing to get married. We went down to Suffolk to see The Black Monk for our preparation which was done over lots of bottles of wine in his back garden (it was a warm Spring)

Working shifts in an incredibly busy oncology unit with some very driven consultants and some very ill patients. I was walking to work, though, which was lovely.

Applying for specialty training as a registrar. I convinced myself for some time after that I got the job because they felt sorry for me. The interview was about half an hour long with 12 interviewers. When I went into the room I sat down and crossed my legs under a table, cutting off the blood supply to my right leg. When I got up I had foot-drop and limped out of the room. I think they thought I was disabled and putting a brave face on it.


Five things on my To Do List today:
Do ward round
Put in my appraisal forms to my boss
Phone HR to make sure the clinical fellow gets paid
Prepare a lecture
Get home in time to go to eldest boy’s choir concert


Snacks I enjoy:
Sweet chilli Kettle chips
Bananas and apples
Dry roasted peanuts
Prawn crackers
Popadums
Carr’s cheese melts with really mature cheddar
Lemon drizzle cake
Cold sausages and anything else that annoys health fascists.


Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
Offer to knock down concrete modernist churches and replace them with beautiful neo-Gothic or neo-Classically designed churches and fill them with elegant vestments and plate.

Buy the proposed site of the London Mega-Mosque and build a HUGE basilica on it to be consecrated in honour of Our Lady of Lepanto

Give lots of money to Aid to the Church In Need, Mary’s Meals, The Linacre Centre

Fund a credible candidate to stand gainst Barry Sheerman and/or Evan Harris

Fund postgraduate research in my specialty.

Buy a house in Tuscany


Five jobs that I have done
Physician
Auxiliary Nurse
University Lecturer
Bricklayer’s labourer
Warehouseman

Three of my bad habits:
Getting tired and grumpy.
Scratching my ear when nervous
Biting my bottom lip


Five places I have lived:
Leeds
Warwick
Bristol
Nso, Cameroon
Glasgow

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger leutgeb said...

Thanks, Paulinus.

I like the idea of replacing ugly Churches with beautiful ones. Could you extend that to music too? Buy up copyrights and then make it all disappear?

Off to eat some cold sausages...

4:59 PM  
Blogger antonia said...

TWELVE interviewers?! wo, I don't think I've eaver heard anyone have that many before! Were they all medics?

Do you play the lottery? It sure would be nice if you won...!


ps- 8 weeks and counting until "they" begin. I'm spending my days prowling the wards looking for murmurs etc!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Still in my daily rosary, Antonia. Keep your chin up.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

That was actually quite interesting! lol

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home