Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rugby Dad


I love the fact that my boys love rugby. They couldn't not given my constant propaganda in that department and the fact that Mrs P's family are all daft on the subject (though they have the distinct disadvantage of supporting Scotland).

Why do I like rugby - and more specifically why do I like it that my boys like rugby?

1. It is a multi-dimensional game -kicking, tackling, scrummaging, running, handwork, footwork.....

2. Kids of all builds can play - tall, lanky backs and wingers; big lads in the front row; tottie wee scrum-halves.

3. The boys don't talk back at the ref (if they do - which I have never seen - the ball gets moved 10 yards towards their line)

4. The boys call the referee "Sir".

5. The parents are well-behaved and chat amiably to the parents of their opponents (I've seen fights only narrowly averted at junior football matches between parents)

6. The captain, and the captain alone, gets to speak to the ref.

7. Having knocked seven bells out of each other the boys shake hands and give each other three cheers.


I suspect it fulfils a role similar to that seen in juvenile rats: What do rats find rewarding in play fighting?--an analysis using drug-induced non-playful partners. Which is why little lads need rough-and-tumble play - or they become lobotomized sitting in front of their PlayStations.


The Eldest Boy plays for this outfit. A prize of a copy of Fr Aidan Nichols' book Looking at the Liturgy to the reader who correctly identifies Paulinus Minor Major from the team photo

NB Father Paul Francis is banned as he has met Paulinus Minor Major

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Fr PF said...

I was so disappointed when I read the last sentence.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Catholic Teuchtar said...

Fr..email me..we'll clean up and Ill send ya the book! :-) ;-)

7:32 PM  
Blogger the dĂșnadan said...

I'd love to win that book but have absolutely no idea what PMiMa looks like. As a complete and wild guess I will go for the boy in the front row, sixth from the right who, with his left arm raised, looks like he is about to bless the photographer. That he is using his left arm clearly shows that PMiMa has been reading too much Orthodox theology. Please get him onto Scrum.com instead.

On why rugby is so great, you are spot on & I could not have put it better myself.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Mac McLernon said...

I thought it was the red-head in the back row, looking the wrong way...

Why?

Because he was looking the wrong way...

3:53 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Teuchtar - you are banned for cheating (not in the spirit if the game, old boy).

Dunadan, sorry, he hasn't picked Orthodox theology yet. I'll see if I can get him onto Timothy Ware ina wee while.

Mac - I am affronted. My boy is NOT a ginge. [not that I'm anti-ginge ;-)]

4:40 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

The ginge looks like one of the Weasley boys! ;-p

Honestly, I have no clue which one your boy is. Sorry!

On another note, are you anywhere near East Kilbride? I am being sent to deepest Strathweegieland for a conference in April.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Mark, honestly, you Edinburgers!

Anywhere West of Livingstone merges into a gloop of weegieness to you lot. I am nowhere near East Kilbride.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Well... west of Harthill, actually! ;-p

Can I have your email address? I want to invite you to be able to view something, but need to put in your email thingie. You can leave it safely on a comment on my blog (they get moderated).

10:18 PM  
Blogger On the side of the angels said...

having a past as a hooker I will heartily concur regarding rugby - I have always loathed the S-game and was an abysmal player [not linked I assure you]
As for watching sport ?
What is more hellish [IMHO] than being a spectator in Golf, Cricket etc ? and the TV coverage ? rather throw myself on a spike....
Rugby's a good catholic game...

6:36 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Paul, if you don't mind me saying, you look to be a little on the slight side to have been a hooker. Then again, we've all grow older.

BTW I'll link when I get the chance.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home