Monday, January 28, 2008

James Macmillan - spot on again


He always hits the spot. Must be living in Jordanhill that does it. James Macmillan in the Catholic Herald this week lauds the Benedictine reforms.
History will look back unkindly on the generation of Vatican II Catholics who were handed such a precious pentecostal gift of grace – a unique opportunity to purify the Church, only to squander it disastrously. They bent over backwards to accommodate the zeitgeist, rather than open a generational heart to the Heilige Geist. This is not what John XXIII foresaw when he inaugurated his great reforming council. He would have been horrified to see how many Catholics fell prey to the trendy nihilism of the 1960s, duped by a destructive iconoclasm which has eroded so much of the West’s culture and morals.


It's only a few years since he directed a welcome spotlight on the anti-Catholicism of much of Scottish public life. Oh, and by the way he's probably Britain's greatest living composer. A giant. God bless him.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Agellius said...

I agree, he nailed it. I've been hearing a lot about him lately in different blogs. I hope I'll actually get to listen to his music one of these days.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Catholic Teuchtar said...

Seems God already has blessed him. :-)

7:07 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Try the Tenebrae Responses, Argellius

8:32 PM  
Blogger leutgeb said...

Top composer.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Oliver said...

A Scotch composer? Surely, it must be a mistake. Give me a toon ... better still, don't!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Oliver - a bit unnecessary. Dr MacMillan is probably the best living composer this country (ie the UK) has. I'd urge you to listen to the Tenebrae Responses

8:15 PM  
Anonymous oliver said...

If you say so. But I automatically resist being told so and so is wonderful and the best thing since sliced bread. If it is that good, then I would have heard it by now ... but perhaps I need a distance of one hundred years for a proper assessment. Alas, I am locked in my late Romantic refuge from which I see no reason to escape. Much like the old Mass, the old religion, etc., etc.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home