Friday, December 08, 2006

Solitary Pleasures (singing hymns in the car, that is)



A commenter has pointed out what should have been obvious to me - that in a previous incarnation this post appears to criticise Fr Ray and Joee - nothing could be further from the truth. Some of the comments on these posts were aggressive and unnecessary. I hope Joee & Fr Ray will accept my apologies for any offence caused.

There has been much talk about Anglicans and their works HERE, and HERE. Some of the comments on these posts have lacked Christian charity. The Truth can be expressed with love and there are some things we should cherish our Anglican brethren for beyond their ability to produce funny vicars and liturgies worthy of parody (after all we’re not short of those in Peter’s barque). The Dunadan has similarly pointed out the folly of mindless Anglican-bashing. I’ve said before, the Anglican tradition of choral evensong, well conducted is something we as Catholics should draw upon. One other fantastic thing our Anglican (and Methodist) brethren do well is sing rollicking good hymns.

I drove back to Glasgow last week and enjoyed a half hour singing out lustily (I was on my own in the car).These were the hymns I sang:

Lo He Comes With Clouds

Come Thou Long Expected Jesus

Long Ago Prophets Knew

Thy Kingdom Come O God

Magnificat, Stanford In A

Hark The Glad Sound

Hills Of The North Rejoice

They were from a programme called The Sunday Half Hour on Radio 2 which I had not heard before.

You can hear them by clicking on the ‘listen again’ link on THIS page.

7 Comments:

Blogger Fr Ray Blake said...

I do not think I am Anglican bashing at all, I do not think it is fair to suggest it.
In that post I was merely asking a question, and expressing surprise, and shock at the use of crosier in a pontifical basilica, I ask it because I am that kind of former Anglican. The great tradition of precision in Anglo-Catholic liturgical theology of the middle years of the 20th Century, under the inspiration of great men like the great Gregory Dix, has lead many of us into communion with Peter.
At its silliest it is about cassock buttons and some might consider the number of ducti of the thurible on a particular occasion as being equally silly but it is part of a much larger question about the nature of sign and symbol. My question, “What does Rowan Williams mean by using the crozier, the throne?” is not unimportant and far from being Anglican bashing, is actually a very Anglican question.
The complaints made by Anglo-Catholic friends about the Rome visit was the he took no-one from that part of the Church with him and women were kept very much in the background, a few apparently appearing only at S. Maria sopra Minerva.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Joee Blogs said...

2 posts later, I clarified my previous post. This clarification can be seen here. http://catholiclondoner.blogspot.com/2006/12/blog-stuff.html
Thus I'm a little surprised that having apologised on the blog for what may have been percieved as a lack of charity in a two sentance post, you brought it up again.

In the first post, it wasn't Anglican bashing anyway - in fact it's quite the opposite, bringing people's attention to true ecumenism with regards Anglicans. What this shows is that there is clearly need for dialogue, and that many commenters showed a disappointment with Anglicanism as a whole for embracing secular things.

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Karen said...

There are many Anglican Churches. It is a "Communion".
There are still vestiges of the Anglo-Catholicism of Newman and Pusey through to the Sea of Faith of Don Cupitt, passing through the Charismaticism of the Torronto Blessing at Holy Trinity Brompton. There are those who are very pro the ordination of women and those who are gay and those who threaten schism in the face of it.
I think your remarks show a very superficial notion of its richness and of the conflicts that are therefore endemic within it.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Oh dear. I meant that some of the commentators in your comment boxes were having a go at Anglicans.

Apologies all round if this was read as being Anglican bashing by Joee or Fr Ray.

Likewise my failure to acknowldge the richness of Anglicanism as a whole.

I'll get me coat.....

11:03 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

...and yes, I am aware there are divisions within the Anglican Communion.

Pardon me for not giving a clearer overview of Angican ecclesiology.

There really aren't enough hours in the day....

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Michael said...

If that is what you meant why not amend the article!
It does sound as if you are getting at Joee and Fr Blake.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Done - see amended post

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home