Monday, December 04, 2006

I have a cunning plan




Mac was amused by the rather nice card I sent her for her renovatio votorum last week. The picture is from the Blackadder Psalter. She didn’t know there was anyone called Blackadder, but Robert Blackadder was the first Archbishop of Glasgow after the diocese was raised to an archdiocese in 1492. The good folk of St Andrews were not amused. It says HERE that John Knox didn’t like him as he went after some proto-protestants, the Lollards of Kyle. Makes him a pretty decent chap in my book. That would make a good name for a band, The Lollards of Kyle. Archbishop Blackadder had a great devotion to St Mungo, the founder of the diocese and embellished the cathedral that stands not 50 yards from my office with items devoted to the good saint. Needless to say the embellishment was removed by Knox’s yobs. He died on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 1508. I wonder whether his secretary was called Baldrick.

Baldrick: I have a plan!
Blackadder: Really! A cunning and subtle one?
Baldrick: Yes
Blackadder: As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Doyle said...

I love Blackadder! I believe that line is from the last episode of them all, when they 'over the top' from the great war's trenches. Blackadder's reply was "well, it'll have to wait" as they are spurred on. That episode nearly made me cry.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Linda in Vancouver said...

Matt Doyle said:
"...when they 'over the top' from the great war's trenches. Blackadder's reply was "well, it'll have to wait" as they are spurred on. That episode nearly made me cry."


And me! :/ Possibly the most heartbreaking scene from any tv comedy!

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home