Saturday, December 09, 2006

Hibernation


This blog is going into hibernation. Unless something drastic changes, the next post will not be before the start of Advent 2007. There are many reasons for this and I have been thinking about it for a long time. The main reasons are:

(1) Blogging takes time away from my prayer life and my family, and as Don Corleone says:
"A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.";

(2) Coupled to this, young Paulinus Minor Major makes his First Holy Commmunion in May - I want to concentrate on making his instruction as good as I can;

(3) We are moving house in the New Year and this will take an inordinate amount of energy;

(4) I've recently taken on more academic commitments and I will complete my doctorate in the coming academic year - the commitment to this will be significant;

(5) The tone of my posts has at times been a bit on the aggressive side and lacking in charity; I should take some time out to perhaps develop a gentler blogging style;

The principal precipitant has been the fact that I am aware that I have appeared to have a go at two bloggers I respect immensely, Joee & Fr Ray. Nothing could be further from the truth, but a lack of care resulted in upset. The anguish this has caused me has surprised me into this hibernation. If the Recusant Cricket Club allow me, as Club doctor, I'd like to post occasionally there.

I think blogging CAN be an effective apostolate and means of evangilisation. I'm just not sure my brand of parochial sniping and puerile shouting is up to that noble task.

I leave you (for the time being) with an attempt at a definition

Catholic Blogging

- Catholic blogging is the practice of the affirmation of the Catholic Faith through the keeping of an internet diary ("weblog" or "blog") as a means of encouraging the Faith of others.

-The blog may take the form of apologetics, homiletics or observations on life, either sacred or secular, with the express intent of sacrilising earthly life, giving glory to Almighty God and defending and strengthening His Church on earth in order to extend the dominion of the Kingdom.

-Catholic blogging is done in conformity with, and in fidelity to, the Church's Magisterium and with filial affection towards the Holy See. Dissent from the Church's teaching does not constitute Catholic blogging.

-Catholic blogging is undertaken under the patronage of St Isidore of Seville, patron of electronic communication, St Gabriel messenger of the Lord and Our Blessed Lady, the Immaculate Mother of God.

-Catholic blogging should encourage the spiritual and temporal virtues and in all circumstances should be undertaken in love of God and neighbour.


Discuss

30 Comments:

Anonymous Fr. said...

we will miss you, Some of us loved the "liturgies" we drew comfort that someone else felt the same way.

Every Blessing

11:20 PM  
Blogger Fr Ray Blake said...

I am so sad, especially if I am in part responsible.
I do not think you were uncharitable at all. You were being honest, a high form of charity, so rare nowadays, but so very necessary.
On reflection I think that I allowed comments which charity should have dictated I should have deleted on that particular post.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous angus said...

Is this the most charitable way to do it?

12:53 AM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Angus

I'm not sure, but then perhaps Christian charity has not always been the hallmark of my blogging. perhaps that's a good enough reason for me to have a break.

I trust that judgement to God's mercy.

10:35 AM  
Blogger antonia said...

We will miss you! It was nice meeting you anyway!

I hope your son's First Communion goes well as does your house move, your prayer life and doctorate!

God Bless

antonia
-x-

12:50 PM  
Blogger northern cleric said...

I know what you mean about charity, or lack of it - I find myself deleting my posts before they are published. Hence silence on the blog at the moment. It is cathartic to have a good rant every now and again - but often best kept to oneself!
God bless you in your endeavours.

P.S.to Harrogate tomorrow -Betty's mince pies beckon!

11:39 PM  
Anonymous angus said...

I meant using people's names.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Capt. said...

We would be honoured to have you. I can re-send the registration details if you need them.

Please do keep the archive of this site online though, I have drwn too much mirth from the womaneepriest liturgies.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Matt Doyle said...

God bless and all the best for the future! Hope to see you back one day!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Boeciana said...

We'll miss you, Paulinus (though if you ever feel like removing the veil of anonymity, might see you around Glasgow via fave Catholic bookshop!).

How to blog charitably is the trickiest question. Laodicea was started by berenike under the banner of 'Scotland and the Cult of Mediocrity', and I know that I sometimes succumb to despair which excludes charity. I pray we're not being counter-productive... Pray for us, and be assured of prayers for you and your family!

St John Ogilvie, pray for us!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

We look forward to your return!

12:33 AM  
Blogger dadwithnoisykids said...

Great comments on a Catholic Blog. Then come pictures of pies?

I hope you reconsider, since I enjoy reading your blogs, and I have not found that many Catholic blogs like yours on this side of the pond.

Personally, I blog as a way to write my thoughts down, to try to make them readable.

God bless you

5:47 AM  
Blogger Vir Speluncae Catholicus said...

Hurry back. You wit will be missed. Hell, I'm missin' ya already!

OK... all seriousness aside, in the Name of Catholic Charity, how could you not be brutally honest when it comes to the possible saving of someones immortal soul?

Sometimes, the truth ain't pretty. As the Baptists say here in North Carolina... "PREACH ON, BROTHER!!!'

1:03 PM  
Blogger Mac McLernon said...

You will definitely be missed. Hope you haven't given up reading the blogs though!! Thinking of and praying for you!

God bless

5:00 AM  
Blogger Roman Sacristan said...

Well, at least you have plans to return to blogging. I totally understand how Real Life can get in the way of blogging (and vice-versa).

Focus on your family and your academics and once those become a bit more calm, then we hope to see you back here.

Your definitions of Catholic blogging are good food for thought.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Pastor in Valle said...

Family first: that's undoubtedly the way. I pray God's blessing on you and those you love. Come back when you can, and we'll all rejoice. Thanks for what you've done.

10:04 PM  
Blogger ukok said...

All the very best for your son's First Holy Communion and with the house move too.

God bless you and yours.

11:35 PM  
Blogger antonia said...

Hello!

Just wanted to say hi! Hope the hibernation is fruitful!

Have a wonderful Lent.

All is well with me; studies same as ever -- lots to revise!

God Bless
antonia
-x-

9:33 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Yes, thank you all going swimmingly.

Praying for anyone kind enough to have left a message here.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Fr Ray Blake said...

Now the First Communion season is almost over ... perhaps?

1:19 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

@Fr Ray

Get thee behind me...

5:50 PM  
Blogger Biby Cletus said...

Hi i just surfed in searching for interesting facts on Essenes in the blogs.
you have a cool blog. Do keep up the good work. I'll be back for more. i live
far from where you live. its nice to be able to see what people from across
the world thinks.

On a related note perhaps you might find the following article interesting.
we are currently doing a series of posts on essenes and their culture and i'll
like to hear your take on the subject via comments. See ya there....

Historical
Facts on Essene Culture


Warm Regards from the Other Side of the Moon.
Bijoy Cletus - Kerala, India

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Pure Search said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:39 PM  
Blogger faccio la mamma said...

Heh, you've just left a comment in my com-box tempting me to continue and here you are merrily going into 'hibernation' yourself! Motes and beams, Mr. Paulinus!

12:46 PM  
Blogger A Simple Sinner said...

advent is a-comin'!

Hope to have you back soon.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Watch this space, dear boy. anytime after sunset and First vespers of the First Sunday in Advent....

11:12 PM  
Blogger Matt Doyle said...

C'mon Paulinus! The liturgical year is over! Advent is practically upon us Sunday-Catholics (or should that be Saturday-night-Catholics?)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

You've still got a week, Matt. You know all those readings about The End coming - enjoy the last week of the liturgical year. It ain't over 'til the fat chorister sings....

9:33 AM  
Blogger la mamma said...

Happy St. Andrew's day in advance. You're quite right, Mr. Paulinus, this is the last week of the year. You're holding out well. Are you singing with Gerry and the Lacemakers or simply attending? I hope all goes well and look forward to hearing about it, hundreds of miles away, on the Blogosphere.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

I'm overweight rather than fat and not a choister. Gerry and the Lacemakers - LOL. Maybe they need a name change. See you after dusk tomorrow.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home