Tuesday, November 21, 2006

With All Due Respect Minister, No.


As I respected him when he was the Health Minister, I was disappointed to see Malcolm Chisholm has become the Scottish Executive's uber-nanny cum thought policeman cum dhimmi-in-chief. As the BBC reports

Islam is often "misunderstood, misinterpreted and misrepresented", according to Communities Minister Malcolm Chisholm. [it sure is - mostly by the BBC]

At the launch of Islam Awareness Week in Glasgow Central Mosque [is there a week that isn't Islam Awareness Week?] , he reiterated the Scottish Executive's belief in religious diversity.

Mr Chisholm said anti-Islamic comments or abuse would not be tolerated....
"Recent events have unfortunately prompted some in our communities to believe that it is justified to make anti-Islamic comments or to abuse or harass Muslims, or those they presume to be Muslims, in the street or other places," he said.

I would wholeheartedly agree that one's fellow citizens should be treated with dignity and respect and protected from abuse and harassment by the full weight of the law. But I won't stop voicing my dislike of a religion whose core principles and teachings I find abhorrent, especially in their political expression. So just as I reserve the right to hold anti-Arian, anti-Pelagian and anti-Jansenist views, with all due respect to the minister, I'll be as anti-Islamic as I damn well please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home