Friday, November 03, 2006

A Hymnody Fit For Drunks

Waiting in the airport, many of my fellow travellers had drink taken. One fellow was, as we say in Glasgow, "one push off being a jakey". Having gone through the usual repertoire of "Danny Bhoy", "Oh the Rangers are shite", "The Boys of the Old Brigade" and "Hail! Hail! The Celts are here!" he started on:

"All over the world the Spirit is moving
All over the world as the prophet said it would be
All over the world there's a mighty revelation
Of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea"


Then a little later on the plane the same gravelly voice could be heard singing:
"Walk with me, oh my Lord,
Through the darkest night and brightest day.
Be at my side, oh Lord,
Hold my hand and guide me on my way."


Yes, the old Estelle White favourite.

Then it struck me: truly awful hymns are best sung by drunks. Can you think of any hymns, dear readers, you would only sing when in your cups?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Pascendi said...

On Eagle's Wings. The nadir of modern liturgy.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us break bread together on our knees. On our knees.
Let us break bread together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun.
Oh, Lord, have mercy on me.
Let us drink wine together on our knees.
Let us drink wine together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun.
Oh, Lord, have mercy on me.
Let us seek truth together on our knees.
Let us seek truth together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun.
Oh, Lord, have mercy on me.
Let us find strength together on our knees.
Let us find strength together on our knees.
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun.
Oh, Lord, have mercy on me.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

The nadir of modern liturgy.
Pascendi

I'm sure they can go lower if they really try

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go the Mass is ended,
hurry to the pub
Mines a pint of stella
followed by a whiskey chaser.
Go the Mass is ended,
hurry to the pub
The Lord understands
our very need
to be a Social Church.


I hope this is not too offensive to pious ears. I just had one of my moments after reading your comment on Let us break bread. Which I had posted on you comments page. It is the let us drink wine bit on our knees. I do ask myself if the “Rising Sun” is a pub and if on our knees we will soon be legless.

Oh and Fill my house unto the fullest eat my bread and drink my wine, it’s gluten free and comes from Sainsbury’s. Un peu de pain, avec boursin, est tres bien.

I must stop.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rmeber being told a story of how 'Estelle White' was used as ryhming slag for 'going to the toilet' in the Spanish seminary before it was closed!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

I rmeber being told a story of how 'Estelle White' was used as ryhming slag for 'going to the toilet' in the Spanish seminary before it was closed!

My computer screen is now covered in coffee.

"He's in the Benghazi, having an Estelle - get the Britneys in"

ROTFLMAO

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home