Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Gee, thanks guys




This was waiting for me on my desk - an unwanted gift to the non-religious brother-in-law of a colleague of mine (a lapsed Catholic). She thought (tongue firmly embedded in cheek) that I would appreciate it. The Last Supper as complete anarchy. What are they all doing? The Macarena? The Monkey? The Mashed Potato?



Just what is Our Blessed Lord holding in his hands? A large donner kebab? A slice of melon? On the plates - are they Pizza Express dough balls? I need help here.

I'm handing it over to a charity shop. It MAY give someone hours of spiritual comfort and contemplation. If you want it, you can have it if you give a donation to Aid to the Church in Need - but you'll have to come to Glasgow to collect it as it weighs about 2kg.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair, Paulinus, my first thought when I saw it was that it captures the consternation of the disciples when Jesus announced that one of them would betray him, one who would dip his hand into the dish with him etc. etc....

Not the best representation, and not particularly to my taste, but I could see it in a classroom setting, as a visual aid for a lesson. Unfortunately I don't see myself getting down to Glasgow any time soon...

;-)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Oh I know, I'm just a reactionary old snob these days. Brian Sewell with a Yorkshire accent...

9:54 PM  
Blogger Joee Blogs said...

Oh wow... actually yes I see it now that mac pointed out that it's that moment. I had to have another look - they're all pointing to themselves! haha :D Nice post Paulinus

10:15 PM  
Blogger Carolina Cannonball said...

I am guilty of giving away religious chatchke like this. I enjoy making people squirm as they fake a hearty "gee thanks". :)

Have you see this "kitschy" blog. Funny stuff.

http://kindakitschy.blogspot.com/

4:21 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

"The Last Supper as complete anarchy. What are they all doing? The Macarena? The Monkey? The Mashed Potato?"

My first impression was that they look like they're doing one of the routines we performed in my high school's marching band. "C'mon, put your back into it! C'mon, put your back INTO IT! Dun dun DUN dun dun, dun dun DUN dun!" That would be awesome.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home