Monday, October 09, 2006

Fortified By The Rites of Holy Mother Church


A patient of mine died late last week. I had reviewed him the day before he died, when it was clear he would die within days, to ask if he wanted to see a priest – he declined. When his condition deteriorated the family asked for a priest to be called and when I saw him for my last visit on Friday afternoon I was concerned the priest would not get there in time. I fretted about it over the weekend and had an unbelievable sense of relief when I found out this morning that the saintly priest who visits the sick in my hospital got to him in time. He had accepted the Last Sacraments while he could.

It reminded me very much of the death of Lord Marchmain in Brideshead Revisited

"Outside the door Father Mackay became the simple, genial man I had known before."Well, now, and that was a beautiful thing to me. I've known it happen that way again and again. The devil resists to the last moment and then the Grace of God is too much for him."

I was pleased this old man had the comfort of final absolution. Please pray for his soul.

Postscript: By the weirdest coincidence Jimmy Akin posted on the canon law related to just this subject with particular reference to Lord Marchmain's case. Spooky.

2 Comments:

Blogger antonia said...

My parish priest was just telling me a story this evening about a time when, due to traffic, he arrived at the hospital 20minutes after a Parishoner died, but he gave her the Sacrament of the Sick anyway. He said that much to the shock and amazement of the nurse, and the woman's daughter, the patient's (dead) face actually seemed to change; it became more peaceful and tranquil, and more sleep-like, than dead-like...

8:09 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Same happened to my Mum

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home