Tuesday, August 22, 2006

From the attic #2


I found my Dad's wartime prayerbook, the frontispiece of which is displayed. What is clear from it is the urgency of faith and the need to avoid sin when facing death, imminent death, on the battlefield. It is something we have lost with increased expectation of life, but something quite striking when seen on the page.

VERY SHORT PRAYERS
which should be used often and committed to memory

O Lord, increase my faith.

O God, be merciful to me a sinner.

Lord, teach me to pray.

Teach me, Lord, to do Thy will for Thou art my God

O Jesus, never permit me to be separated from Thee.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, protect our homes.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, in Thee I place my trust.

We adore Thee, O Christ and we bless Thee, because by Thy Holy Cross, Thou hast redeemed the world.

Mother of Mercy, pray for us.

Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Hope of the Hopeless, pray for us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jer said...

I wonder if it is possible to buy a copy of the prayer book anywhere?

11:05 PM  
Blogger Paulinus said...

Unlikely. I can scan it for you....

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home