Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Dominicans


Today we celebrate the feast of St Dominic. The genius of St Dominic was to take the Faith to the people where they were and what a crowd of intellectual giants were his sons and daughters: St Albertus Magnus, St Thomas Aquinas, St Vincent Ferrer, St Raymond of Penyafort, St Catherine of Siena and the St Pius V, true reformer of the Church and saviour of Europe at Lepanto (see Chesterton’s Lepanto: And the Pope has cast his arms abroad for agony and loss/And called the kings of Christendom for swords about the Cross )

I have a soft spot for St Rose of Lima and my grandmother had a great devotion to St Martin De Porres.

The English Dominicans have some good preaching (as you might expect) here.


Some Dominicans I like, some are a bit of a hangover from the 60s and a bit tiresome (a bit Stanfordish, if you know what I mean) I have three favourite Dominicans on the web – our own Brother Lawrence, who hasn’t blogged for a wee while, Fr Ephraem from Australia and the thriving Moniales OP.

Finally, I like the fact that Glasgow University, where I currently labour (part of the time) in pursuit of a doctorate, had its origins in the convent of the Dominicans here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home